So in this series we are going to discuss we are going to discuss mainly three things. Acids,Bases and salt. So let’s quickly dive in.
ACIDS: This are substances that produces hydrogen ion as the only positive ion when dissolved in water. An acid can also be known as a Proton Donor. We have two types of acids. Organic and inorganic acid. Examples of organic acids includes citric acid, Ammonia acid, Lactic and citrus acid. Examples of inorganic acids includes Tetraoxosulphate(VI) acid. etc
The basicity of an acid is the number of hydrogen atoms per molecules of acids that can be displaced by a metal in solution. Now let’s go to the physical properties of acids.
- They turn blue litmus paper red
- Acids have sour taste
- They are very corrosive. The concentrated one..
CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF ACIDS
- When they react with metals they give off hydrogen reaction with active metal
- When they react with base they form salt and water.
- When they react with Trioxocarbonates they liberate carbon four oxide
PREPARATIONS OF ACIDS
Acids are prepared using the following methods:
- Direct combination of elements
- Reaction between Acid Anhydrides and water
- The displacement of volatile acids from salts
USES OF ACIDS
- They are used in the manufacture of fertilizers,Detergents,Dyestuffs,Drugs, Explosives,Plastics, Car batteries
- Ethanoic acids are used in making packaging materials
- It is used as solvents, Vinegar for preserving food items and as food flavoring.
A base is a substance that neutralizes an acid to form salt and water only. They are usually metallic oxides or metallic hydroxides. Acid plus base equals to salt and water. An Alkali neutralizes acids but do not dissolve in water. We have both strong and weak alkalis. They are differenciated using the universal indicators…..
PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF BASES
- They have bitter taste
- The soluble bases turn red litmus to blue
- They are soapy when touched..
CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF ACIDS/ALKALIS
- When they react with acids they form salt and water only
- Alkalis reacts with ammonium salts in the presence of heat to produce ammonia gas
USES OF ALKALIS AND BASES
- Bases are used to neutralize acids to form salt…
- Alkalis are used in the manufacture of soap
PREPARATION OF ACIDS AND BASES
- By electrolysis of brine
This is when an acid reacts with hydroxide ions of a base to produces water..
What is an indicator? An indicator is a substance that changes color within a specific ph range. Each indicator has its own specific ph range when it changes color..
Examples of indicators includes
- methyl orange
- Phenol phtalin
TYPES OF SALTS
There are main five types of salts. They are the complex,Basic,normal,acid salts,and lastly complex salt. All of this salts has there own very definition and types but the assignment is you go and research about them. It is worth the search after all and please don’t forget to ask questions. Always remember that failure is an essential part of success..
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.